The word “teach” becomes “learn” when rotated 180-degrees!
What is SOTL?
SoTL (Scholarship of Teaching & Learning) is the “systematic reflection on teaching and learning made public“
Why is that “o” sometimes in lowercase?
SOTL is sometimes written as SoTL – and no, there is no reason to do that.
Can I have some more definitions of SOTL?
- SOTL on Wikipedia
- SOTL is scholarly inquiry into student learning which advances the practice of teaching by making inquiry findings public.
- The Carnegie Foundation
- Problem posing about an issue of teaching or learning, study of the problem through methods appropriate to the disciplinary epistemologies, applications of results to practice, communication of results, self-reflection, and peer review” (Cambridge, 2001).
- Allen & Field, 2005:
- The scholarship of teaching … is driven by a desire to understand how students learn effectively and how teaching influences this process. Thus, it is student-focused. The scholarship of teaching has two main components. The first is the use of creativity to develop original materials … that can be used beyond the boundaries of an individual instructor. The second component, a systematic evaluation of teaching and learning, can involve both informal and traditional research on teaching and learning, or curriculum related issues. Both research approaches require in-depth understanding of the literature, critical reflection, and sharing through publication.
- Illinois State University document
- Systematic reflection on teaching and learning made public
Scholarship of Teaching v.s. Scholarly Teaching
The purpose of scholarly teaching is to affect the activity of teaching and the resulting learning, while the scholarship of teaching results in a formal, peer-reviewed communication in appropriate media or venues, which then becomes part of the knowledge base of teaching and learning in higher education (Richlin & Cox, 2004, p.127).
- IS-SoTL (The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning)
- Programs and information on SoTL from the Carnegie Foundation
- SOTL resources maintained by Illinois State University
- SOTL Resources maintained by the Faculty and Organizational Development program at Michigan State University
- SOTL Resources maintained by University of Central Florida